What are dental implants?
A dental implant is a surgical component that is fixed to replace the tooth root. It interfaces with the jaw bone to provide a strong foundation for the permanent or removable teeth made to match ones’ natural teeth. It generally acts like as an orthodontic anchor. The implant is mainly made of titanium since it works well with the bone and forms a bond with it over time, which is similar to the one formed by the jaw bone and the teeth, hence preventing bone loss that could otherwise occur with other types of replacements. Many dentists in Jupiter FL, (leaders in the use of this technique) use and advocate this procedure over the use of bridges nowadays. The dental implants involve a series of procedures to recreate a missing tooth. The implants are placed using a one stage surgery or the mostly used staged surgery procedure which involves three processes:
1. Surgically burying the titanium implant underneath the gum. It replaces the root. Once its inserted, tissues in the jaw bone grow affixing themselves in the post like barnacles in the process called osseintegration making it more secure and stable anchor for the crown. Once it’s healed, the implant need to be exposed by removing some overlying gum.
2. At this stage, the success of integration of the implant is checked and the abutment is connected and it penetrates through the gum to the mouth. The gum is allowed to heal. On healing, the gum forms a collar or cuff around the abutment where the dentist can access the implant while preparing for the final restorative stage.
3. This stage consists of creating and attaching the prosthetic teeth or a permanent crown to the abutment.
Premier Dentistry of Jupiter dentists say that there are several advantages associated with dental implants:
· There is improved appearance-they are designed to fuse with bones and they become permanent. They feel like your own teeth
· They eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures since they become part of you. They ease eating since they function like own teeth unlike sliding dentures which make chewing difficult
· Dental implants help improve speech. One can speak without the fear that the teeth might slip due to poor denture fittings
· They are durable and last a lifetime with good care
· Convenient and they help maintain the overall dental hygiene. They are not removable and hence they eliminate the inconvenience of removing and messy adhesives to keep them in place
What is a dental bridge?
A dental bridge is a fixed dental restoration that bridges the gap between natural teeth. It consists two or more crowns for the teeth (anchoring teeth called abutment teeth) on either side of the gap and false teeth (known as pontic). Bridges are supported by the implants or the natural teeth. Most of the dentists in Jupiter Florida and other Florida “Treasure Coast” cosmetic dentists will tell you that bridges unlike implant posts, may present some problems (which may include decay, possible need for future root canals or making teeth prone to bacterial infections) since the natural teeth that lie on the side of the bridge need to be filed to be in line with the appliance.
Before choosing either, one need to consider several factors, the benefits associated with each or the disadvantages of each and chose one that outweighs the advantages of the other.
How can one decide on the best procedure?
· The decision to choose between dental implants and bridges should be based on the dental condition of the patient and their preferences. The health condition of the jaw of a patient is a matter of concern. The immunity of the patients will also be considered since dental implants will involve surgery which has associated risks of running into complications.
· The dental implant is a permanent structure while a bridge will last for approximately 8-15 years given good oral hygiene though the crowns attached to either will be subject to wear and tear and will need replacement.
· Dental bridges requires that the adjacent teeth be strong to support the bridge which is not the case with implants
· Inserting implants will take longer time as compared to putting a bridge.
Always consult with your dentist before making any quick decision. To be sure to get the correct diagnosis you will need and the best advice available to allow you to make the most informed decision possible. Learn more with helpful information from this cosmetic dentist in Jupiter FL.